GA Guidelines for Appointment, Assignment, and Reappointment
Business Administration Graduate Programs - Appointment and Reappointment Guidelines for Graduate Assistantships
- GA appointments are made to support the operations of the unit. Hiring is based on the needs of the unit. Candidates are selected based on their experience and knowledge as it relates to those needs.
- GAs are hired by the unit to support its operations. Typical GA positions in the department are either 25% or 50% appointments for each semester. The fall semester hiring dates are August 16 through December 31, and the spring semester hiring dates are January 1 through May 15.
- Offer letters: Any currently serving GA is notified of the unit’s intention to reappoint no less than 45 days prior to the end of the current appointment (November 15 for fall and April 1 for spring). Offer letters are sent to new GAs as close to 45 days prior to the start of the appointment as possible, However, we continue to make offers after these dates until all positions are filled, even closer to the start of the semester.
- GA duties are based on unit needs. Units will work to create coherent positions that provide meaningful experience to Gas as well as provide opportunities for Gas to be successful in the accomplishment of assigned duties,
Factors that may enhance an individual’s eligibility for TA appointment or for specific course assignments include:
- Prior TA reviews
- Program of study (PhD students receive priority over MS students)
- Academic record (minimum GPA 3.0) and progress toward the degree (for PhD students, this may mean completing milestones such as the qualifier and preliminary examinations in a timely manner)
- Specific needs of the class and instructor
- Applicant’s preferences and availability at times needed for labs/discussions
- Previous teaching experience in specific classes: need and ability
- Previous general teaching experience and performance as a TA
- Department’s mission to provide the best support to our students in each of our classes